3.15.2009

Frito Paws?! WTF?

So I've been having this conversation with many people (i.e. i keep bringing the topic up with people) about some of my favorite smells. Most people like normal scents like... roses, freshly-baked cookies, laundry.... but my two favorite smells happen to miss the mark on typically-agreed-upon good scents. They are: sleeping dog paws, and basement.
...
...
That's right. Sleeping dog paws. and basement.
This topic came up again earlier today with the bf, and I decided to confess this fact to cyberspace by typing in "i like the smell of sleeping dog paws" in my google toolbar. Lo and behold... google generated 204,000 hits based on my ridiculous confession. true fact.
it's kind of fascinating because it appears that some dogs' post-nap paws remind their owners of corn chips and fritos. i find this... disturbing, to say the least. perhaps these absent-minded owners dropped a few crumbs onto their beloved dogs' innocent paws? but no, there are too many others out in cyberspace connecting with others over this very same phenomenon. Frito paws. After spending some time (i.e. too much time) researching this strange phenomenon, i found the consensus to be that Frito paw does not = the scent that i love. Frito paw is caused by some type of bacteria/possibly yeast infection (the dark, damp nature of the crevices in paw beds make optimal breeding grounds for these bacterium). I refuse to believe that i love yeast infected paws. or that i sleep nightly with these tainted paws in my face. and that a guilty pleasure of mine is to deeply inhale bacterium while my unconscious pup snoozes on.
Well, but it's possible, you just might like the smell of weird fungus and bacteria, you might say. Afterall, let's be honest... the smell of basement... is basically mold and asbestos growing on old pipes.
...
...
dis.turb.ing.
can i come over to smell your basement?

5 comments:

Geewhiz said...

I am on board with you on the puppy paws. I don't know if the dog has to be sleeping, but it certainly makes things easier. They don't smell like fritos to me though.

As for this other smell... I wonder if it is a particular basement smell that you like. I have a strong suspicion that your love for basements comes from a very particular basement... perhaps even some fond memories taking place there.

Also... how do you feel about the smell of caves?

Unknown said...

HLS-- cave smells = pretty great! not that i frequent caves very often. how do you feel about them?

Geewhiz said...

I really love the smell of caves. I like caves in general. I was watching this movie called The Descent and it really made me want to go spelunking. Until the cave people started killing everyone that.

So... are we ready to roll out a line of air fresheners/perfumes that smell like puppy paws, basements, and caves? You did the research, is there a market for this?

La Petit Epicurien said...

OMG did you come across this one on your google search http://blogs.dogster.com/vet_blog_information_advice/what-causes-frito-feet/ ? I have to say that Barrett and I laughed so hard that I cried while reading this post! LOL

Anonymous said...

why the hell is my name bluebelle.....so confused.....